Thursday, April 30, 2009

Review of The Shack

Book: The Shack
Author: William P. Young

The Shack
is stirring quite a controversy, which I hadn't paid any attention to until my mom asked me to write a little more on it. While I will not spend much time on it, according to James B. DeYoung's review, author William P. Young used a fictional book to serve his universalism theology.

I originally said that this book changed my life, and it did. Although I do not agree with the theology of Universalism , I was challenged to look at my own life and confront a sin that I did not realize I had. No matter how many times I've read, memorized, or heard Matthew 7:3-5, I did not realize that I judge people so harshly and unjustly. This is one of my many sins, but the Holy Spirit revealed this to me as I read it.

(Matthew 7:3-5 NIV)
(3) "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? (4) How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? (5) You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Although many disagree, I found this a positive read and because God used this to reveal my sin to me, I see it in a positive light. I viewed this book as fictional, just as it was marketed.

If you read it for yourself, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

With love,
Bellawhoop!

1 comment:

Ceska said...

Honestly, I don't think that there is a book other than the Bible itself that has influenced the dimension of my love for my Father, Jesus, and Sarayu (I love this name). The visual imagery that the author has been able to convey through the eyes of Mack will forever impact my visions of my Trinitarian guardians. The words, "I am very fond of you" resonate within my heart and, though spoken to Mack and later to Willie, I know are meant for me as well. Don't expect The Shack to be just "a good read." Instead, to read it is good for the soul.