Thursday, November 5, 2009

For the Love of Roots

TURNYPES
Creamed Turnip and Parsnip Soup

Ingredients
1 cup peeled, fresh turnips, diced
1/2 cup scraped, fresh parsnips, diced
2 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup coarsely ground almonds
1 cup heavy cream
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1/4 lemon

Method
1. Gently boil turnips and parsnips in broth until vegetables are soft, about 12 minutes.
2. Stir in almonds and heat for 3 minutes.
3. Mix the yolks and salt with the cream; add the lemon juice; pour 1/2 cup hot soup into egg mixture, stirring well. Slowly pour this mixture into the soup. Stir well.
4. Heat 2 or 3 minutes, stirring, and serve warm.

My Modifications
1. I used sliced almonds and diced them up a bit.
2. The first time I made this for the big group, it sat on the stove on love for about 20-30 minutes. The second time I followed the directions. I think it seemed to taste better the first go-round.

Source: I'll get this from Holly and edit it when I receive it.

Let me know what you think when you try it. :)

No comments: