|Winter Banana apples|
This was my first experience with making homemade apple sauce, and Holly was an excellent teacher!
Here was our recipe:
1. Pick apples (Go to the effort to find an orchard near you - you won't regret it.)
2. Wash apples. (We were blessed to have a great quality control manager!)
|Aren't they beauties?|
3. Fill up a huge pot with canning jars and water and heat until jars are sterilized.
4. Halve each apple, and slice each half into quarters. (There's no need to be a perfectionist about this, but believe me, I tried!
5. Add about 1/2" - 1" of water and cook on medium heat.
|They picked A LOT of apples!|
6. Once they cook down, pour into food mill and crank away. This removes all of the skin, seeds, stems, etc and only allows the delicious sauce to escape.
7. Add some vanilla, cinnamon & butter and grab a spoon!
|Holly demonstrating how the food mill works|
|Making apple sauce|
Seriously, it was delicious.
Quality control said so!