Thursday, March 27, 2008

Our Family Guitar Hero

N's cousin had a birthday yesterday and I hadn't had the chance to make him a card yet. He's a Guitar Hero addict, so I thought a Guitar Hero card was in order. I was inspired by the wireless Les Paul guitar controller and the red flames strap from Red Octane, the official Guitar Hero store. This card took me a long time to make, actually several hours, because I hand drew the guitar, the flames, and all of the letters (to resemble the GH font) and I kept trashing things because it just didn't look right. After almost 4 hours, I stopped with this.
Guitar: I drew the guitar on 2 post-its, using one for the handle and one for the "face." {Forgive me, but I'm not caught up on my guitar technology!} I re-used a piece of light-weight cardboard (resembling chip-board) for the guitar. I covered both sides with a black Sharpie. The zebra print face plate is some scrap dp from years ago (Frances Meyer, Inc. 5001-155-Bulk). I used my Fiskars 1/8" hand-held circle punch and Provocraft (34-0067) rectangular punch for the knobs and buttons. I inserted Crystal Sticker Elements by Mark Richards into the guitar knob holes and drew the strum buttons in with my white gel pen. I added the "whammy bar" - the long silver bar - with a silver pen and black Sharpie. The fret buttons are A Muse creative candy and Crystal Sticker Elements. (I used an orange, green and blue sharpie to color the white ones since I didn't have the appropriate colors.) And finally, there was some white script on the end of the guitar that I couldn't read, so I added his name. :)The black is some misc paper from the scrap bin and the red is SU! Real Red. I drew the flames on a post-it, moving it over to complete the design.

The letters took me the longest to do. Just drawing them, cutting out, outlining, re-drawing, etc. was a nightmare. All in all, I think he'll like it and hopefully he'll know how much we love him!

I've got more ideas for guitar hero cards, so he might get more throughout the year. :)

Happy stamping!

No comments: