Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Discipline and Obedience

I have once again begun to read Discipline: The Glad Surrender by Elisabeth Elliot. There are many areas of my life where I could use more discipline, so this book can only help me. Today as I was reading the 2nd chapter "Discipline: The Answer to God's Call," I was struck by what she said regarding discipline and obedience. Here's what she said:

"We might say that discipline is the disciple's 'career.' It defines the very shape of the disciple's life. Obedience, on the other hand, refers to specific action."

So the question I must ask myself is, "Am I obedient?" This is a very tough question and one that I must mull over and pray about. May God show me my disobedience this very day so I may repent and enjoy a wonderful life in obedience to him. I can see now how discipline is a glad surrender.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

That is a good question. I haven't read that book before. I may have to look for it.

I used to be a disciplined person but have lost much of that since I got married. Weight Watchers has helped me with my discipline in eating, but I still need it in other areas of my life as well.

Thanks for sharing!