Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Smell my feet

Did you ever actually say to anyone, "Trick or Treat, Smell my feet, Give me something good to eat"? I remember always joking about it as a child but I hope I wouldn't say that to anyone. Knowing me and all of my childhood antics, I probably did. I pulled some pretty rotten stunts as a kid that is so embarrassing now. {Turning darker shades of red as I think of them.}

What is your favorite thing about Halloween? My favorite was dressing up. I loved to pretend to be someone else. I remember the year that Cabbage Patch Kids came out, I fell in love. I wasn't a big "dolly" kid, so that's saying a lot! Anyway, I wanted to be a Cabbage Patch Kid for Halloween and I didn't want a cheesy-peasy plastic one from the store when my mom was Mrs. Bernina (that's a sewing machine brand)! She made most of my clothes until I hit the high-school days when I had to have one pair of designer jeans instead of 5 off-brands. So, she made me a cabbage patch costume. It was complete with a cute dress, bloomers, shoe covers, and big chubby hands! I loved it so much that I didn't want to take it off. I think I wore the bloomers (as shorts) as much as I could get away with! Thank you mom for spending time in the sewing room, making my clothes, even when I was ungrateful. It was truly a labor of love, for which I am most grateful now. I love you, too.

Another fond childhood memory is of my mom. My mom is a school teacher and I remember her dressing up one year (when you could still dress up in school). I'm not sure what prompted this, but she dressed up as Pippi Longstocking. I think she made her own costume, as she was an extremely talented seamstress. She was so darling in her freckles, "Pippi dress" (which I think was mostly bright lime green) and tall unmatched socks. But the thing I remember most about that costume was her hair! She had medium-length perm-curled brown hair and she bent a wire clothes hanger to go over the top of her head, braided her hair around the wire, spray-painted it bright red, and covered it with a ton of hair-spray. She was the cutest mom and I loved that she was dressing up! I wish I had a picture of her in that get-up because someday my memory fade (it has already started) and *poof* - it will be gone. But for now, it cracks me up!

I think these fun memories has inspired me to dress Bexar up today. We'll see what he will be...who knows what I come up with. It may be another SuperBex day!

Happy trick-or-treating, dressing up, and pumpkin carving on yet another gorgeous Fall day!

2 comments:

Betty said...

A fabulous post...wow! I enjoyed reading it soooo much. It brought back a bunch of memories that had been neatly tucked away for a LONG time! Thanks, darlin', for being such a darling person! You indeed fulfill the hopes and desires of all parents everywhere. I am so glad that you are mine! Love you, Mom

Mindy said...

I would like to see a picture of Cabbage Patch Melinda. I used to love my Cabbage Patch dolls. I even had the Cabbage Patch tape. I can't remember much about it, but I used to listen to it all the time in my room.