Monday, June 30, 2008

Independence Day decorations

The other day, I got a wild hair to make some pinwheels as decorations. My friend, Mrs. Green Thumb, who also is quite crafty, made the cutest pinwheels. Mine don't actually work (and aren't as cute as hers), but they serve their purpose!

I was dying to use my new Kim Hughes set, America the Beautiful (that I won from CHF's Kim Hughes Blitz), so I made decorations for the big day. These were SO simple but I think they provide some much-needed color.
A close-up of the pinwheel. The navy piece was originally a 6" x 6" square. The white square measures 5 7/8" x 5 7/8" and is randomly stamped. I measured 3 inches from each corner and cut the blue square. Then I centered the white square onto the navy square (the side with the measured lines), adhered, and then cut the white square where it lined up with the cuts from the blue square. Bending every other corner to the center, I adhered them in the middle. (The only thing I could get to hold them was needle & thread or hot glue.) I applied a button on top but then covered it up with the punched circles and stamped letters.
Isn't that eagle the cutest little thing? I colored him using my Kohinoor pencils, baby oil and blending stump. The star was a template, and I lined it with Crystal Effects covered with glitter and used foam squares to pop up the eagle.

An easy (although time-consuming) project, but I think well worth it!

Stamps: CHF America the Beautiful
Ink: Black Staz-On, Versamark, SU Real Red, SU Night of Navy
Paper: SU Real Red, SU Night of Navy, SU Whisper White
Tools: Star Template, blending stump & baby oil, glue gun
Accessories: Glitter, Kohinoor pencils, red ribbon, Crystal Effects, bamboo kabob sticks, hot glue

Happy Stamping!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is too cool!!! I have no decorations whatsoever. I need some!!! Great idea! TFS!!!

Wendy said...

Those are really cute! Now just tell Taylor to take a REALLY long nap so that I can make some too!

Keri Lee Sereika said...

Totally awesome pinwheel set! The perfect decor for this weekend!!!